Do You Know?
- Cockroaches can leave an offensive odour with their spit and urine.
- They generally feed on food leftovers (including pet and human food)
- Cockroaches can transmit disease-causing bacteria through their bodies.
- They carry many types of human pathogens, parasitic worms and bacteria.
- Cockroaches can also feed and survive on items like the glue found behind a stamp.
- To help them in mating and swarming, cockroach feces contain chemical trails that emit airborne pheromones. These pheromones help cockroaches track chemically-active trails to discover food in the hide-outs of other cockroaches.
- There are 4,500 species of cockroaches around the world, of which about 30 are found near human habitation.
- Cockroaches have been on this planet ever since the age of the dinosaurs.
- Cockroaches can stay hungry for about a month and thirsty for about a fortnight.
- Certain female cockroaches can remain impregnated for the entire life after mating.
- A headless cockroach can live for up to one week.
- They can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes.
- A Cockroach runs at the speed of up to 3 miles an hour.
- Even a nuclear attack cannot completely destroy cockroaches!